Tuesday 2 October 2012

Love / Hate



[Study Task] - Find one piece of design you love and one you hate.

As a starting task Richard asked us to pick two pieces of design, one we love and one we hate and write up our reasons behind that. I wanted to choose two pieces of design that I'm not already biased towards, design using comic sans or a piece of design recognised to be bad design. I wanted to pick two pieces of design I can give a fresh  opinion on, well my own personal fresh opinion. 

Design I love:

The first piece of work I picked out was a Zoom poster by Anoik. A designer I have only just come across and found on: www.typographicposters.com, a website shown to me by a previous tutor in college. Anyway,  the typography was what really caught my eye, it's got a real catchy flow to it. I keep catching my self just letting my eyes flow from word to word. It's candy, eye candy. The hierarchy of the information is beautifully displayed and all hand drawn as well with colour grading applied in photoshop.

http://www.typographicposters.com/anoik/ - Anoik

I think the effect applied simply adds to the trip your eye takes down it and more over encourages it to. It's what makes this piece successful, I want to look at it and find out what's happening, if it didn't do that It would be just another piece of design I would have scrolled on past. It's incredibly striking and there's been a lot of care in creating the end aesthetic.

Design I hate:

Although I said I didn't want to use work I was already biased against, I've made a little u-turn on that. Although I haven't seen this piece of work by Carson before. (I do like his work but I feel he's really hit and miss.) When I found it while going through his portfolio online, I just felt confused. Having had lectures on him and his work previously, I've always felt on the fence about him, and this particular piece feel like is just  bad for him. It's a style I feel is out dated, I'd appreciate it if it was made 10 years ago as part of the post-modernist era, But it's not.

http://www.davidcarsondesign.com/t/clients/yale-university/ - David Carson


Because of that, it's design I hate because of how out of touch it is with the problem it's been applied too, I feel like he's scared to change in this of how he worked in the past decade. It's evolved for sure, but it's becoming more of a mess and unreadable. I want to know information, I don't want to search for it. Graphic design to me, is solving a problem and creating the best possible solution. Not making the audiences eye strain while searching in black stains and blotches. It's my rant, but I do have a slight hate for this type of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment