Saturday 27 December 2014

COP3: Lydia Gibson and illustrations

I found these illustrations by Lydia Gibson, although hard to find, I came across them while searching for fairy tales made for the working class. The style of Lydia's illustrations really got my eye because of the use of colour and the simplicity of the drawings them selves. For instance the teacup whale really gets a lot across in such a nice simple drawing. I really appreciate this type of work. The only problem is her work is rather hard to come by, but I've included a few samples below to take inspiration from.

It's a style of drawing which I think would be really useful for illustrating with because of the simplicity of it, which would allow me to produce my book quickly while at the same time keeping a professional appearance and looking contemporary.






Lydia also worked for the 'Masses' magazine in the early 1900's, the below illustrations aren't hers, however I really like the front cover designs for the magazines, the use of black accompanying a primary colour works really well. The use of silhouetting is really effective here too.






I was looking for some inspiration in regards to actual children's books and Nosy Crow offers you the ability to look through their books easily on their only PDF viewer which was really helpful for just getting a glimpse at some of the books they produced.

The below books been some examples, which I picked for just referencing. however I don't really see them being relevant due to the style.










No comments:

Post a Comment