Sunday 5 May 2013

Revolution! Making of.




From the sheets I established the look of the capitalists  the workers and the running order of the book. From this I was able to make the base imagery of the book to show for the presentation.


Screenshots:

Again i used the pattern brush to create my work, I made a chain link and when It become a pen like was really effective, wanting to use this on the chaining of the world iconography.


I made my capitalist man, Arms up were to show he was like a puppeteer of sorts, controlling the workers. Reminds me of the monopoly man the more i look at him.


From the Marx image with the skyline I used as reference to create my skyline for behind the workers. I wanted to add clouds but couldn't figure out how to make them fit to a curve.




Chains on the semi-circle looked rather odd I thought so I didn't use it.


The Workers I was really happy with, I set pieces of them so I could mix and match to create different poses, examples below. 



I figured using a square would work best for the book, as a lot of children's book now a days are, this would perhaps make it look more current.


I re-created tatlin's tower using the mechanical drawings, using only lines. (Was adjusted because when I tried to cut it like this the machine ripped it apart.


The imagery for these ones was basic because It was simple shapes with my added men on, added bayonets to them instead of hammers.


I recreated stepanova's patterns, but when I tried to implement them they just didn't really work with the rest of the imagery.



I found a google map image of russia I traced to create for the final spread.


Tatlins tower + Skyline of Petrograd.




I originally wanted the train pop-up to have a train behind it, but It was incredibly difficult to get another train behind it to match up in perspective, because it changed when you open and close it.








The cover evolved a lot to include more imagery after the presentation  after Richard commented it on to be more slicker.


Photographs:

The initial pop-up attempts worked perfectly, I don't know if it was beginners luck but they were really effective first time.




Then with text:



The same went for the next pop-ups which were all rough attempts but the idea I was trying to get across worked perfectly.





Line-up of the pop-ups to see how they worked in sequence.


I first attempted tatlins tower from the front on, but I wasn't as iconic as the side view so it was ditched.


The meeting with Lenin was really effective once it was propperly cut, I really like the white one.


Same for the revolution attack.


A rough side attempt at tatlins tower was a lot more effective.


I really wanted to add the shapes inside of the tower but It was really hard to have them 3d at the same time as they peeked around the edge and it gave the illusion away of it been 3d.


I decided adding in banners was a lot more effective.


Rough mock-up for the book's spine.


Dead capitalists. (failed attempts)






Pre-cover book.



Finished!




1 comment:

  1. Hello Adam! good job!!! i'm looking for some graphic files of Tatlin Tower) i need it for making design of one event that will be in march.
    this is my site
    http://lkaforever.ru
    the theme of our party is revolution.

    ReplyDelete