Thursday 4 April 2013

Design Principles - 10 things Research

For the 10 things spreads, I was thinking of putting them together to form a concertina as it'd be a really easy solution in putting them together without having to waste much time thinking how I'm going to bind it. I bought this concertina called Flesh & Bone, published by No-brow. It features a perfect 10 spreads, exactly the number I'm needing, so there's 5 on the front and 5 on the back. 



I was looking to see how they'd created such a long fold and found a seam half way, so it's essentially cut in half from an A2 sheet and then put together with the seam here at the mid point. It's an exact 1 cm tab.


I didn't think having a belly band would possibly be the most effective solution for holding together the booklet, I'd received this Topman gift card  they come in these little pockets to hold the card in I thought were rather nice. Especially the die cut type in it. I could use this as the front page as that would allow me to have the content on the front page from the get go without having to have a introductory page.


Net images:




Two simple tabs to hold it together. 

It reminded me of Stephan Sagmeister's book 'Thing's I've learned so far..'  The possibilities I could go from here with it. The concertina would create a similar effect because the front and back of it would be completely different.



Atom's for Peace album was also a concertina, which I've got, having them squarer would use up to much paper and sticking to a format similar to the one used for the Flesh and bone would be alot more effective when it comes to saving material.



I was wondered how much I could get out of a single piece of paper so I attempted to create my concertina prototype, I could get a booklet of the size I'm after from 1 A4 and a half. If it was A7. I think any smaller would be impractical. A7 (or round about) seems as if it's be a really nice size to handle and be still able to fit writing and text onto. 



No comments:

Post a Comment